About Topcon Healthcare
Based in Oakland, NJ, Topcon Healthcare is a leading provider of medical devices and image software solutions for the worldwide eye care community. Topcon Screen, Topcon’s teleophthalmology platform, enables point of care testing for diabetic retinopathy. Topcon Screen helps improve patient care, reduce future liabilities to utilization costs and improve HCC documentation within the diabetes population.
Topcon Screen – A Population Health Driven Solution
Diabetic Retinopathy is the leading cause of blindness for patients with diabetes, yet 50% of Americans with diabetes lack documentation of a retinal eye exam*. As a result, the quality of life for diabetes patients reduces and utilization costs for ACOs and Health Plans increase.
Successful population health initiatives require practices to reduce barriers to care and provide access to needed services for their patients. By implementing point of care testing for diabetic retinopathy, such as Topcon Screen, practices can reach more patients and improve care coordination for diabetic patients diagnosed with a vision pathology.
Practices have faced two main barriers when it comes to implementing point of care testing for diabetic retinopathy. The first has been the cost of the equipment which historically required a practice to make a large investment upfront without knowing the impact on patient workflow. The second barrier has been the uncertainty around reimbursement.
For these reasons, Topcon offers a simple month-to-month equipment rental program which requires no upfront costs to get started or a long-term agreement. Topcon also provides each practice a reimbursement specialist who will work with the practice on how to properly document and code this service to optimize the financial return on this initiative.
The Topcon Screen solution can have the following benefits:
- Improve care coordination and patient outcomes
- Reduce future liabilities to utilization costs
- Provide reimbursement from most insurance plans
- Improve risk adjustment within the diabetes population
- Improve HEDIS / Star quality measure performance
To speak with our team and get started with a 90-day Topcon Screen pilot program, please call us directly at 551-231-7412, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit topconscreen.com
* Lee DJ, Kumar N, Feuer WJ, et al. Dilated eye examination screening guideline compliance among patients with diabetes without a diabetic retinopathy diagnosis: the role of geographic access. BMJ Open Diabetes Research and Care 2014;2:e000031.doi:10.1136/bmjdrc-2014-000031″ target=”_blank” rel=”noopener”>https://www.aao.org/newsroom/news-releases/detail/sixty-percent-americans-with-diabetes-skip-exams